Tired these muffins out this weekend, recipe courtesy Eatingwell Magazine, and they were delicious! a definite must try for a healthier version of one of my favorite muffins!
Makes: 1 dozen muffins
Per muffin: 186 Calories; 8 g fat; 31 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbs; 7 g added sugar; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 206 mg sodium; 193 mg potassium.
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup old-fashion rolled oats, plus 2 tbs for garnish
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground allspice
2 large eggs
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup honey or agave
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
2 cups shredded carrots
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, pulse 2 tbs for garnish
1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 deg. F. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray
- Whisk whole-wheat flour. 1/2 cup oats, baking powder, cinnamon. Salt and all spice in a medium bowl.
- Whisk eggs, applesauce, honey and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk in coconut oil. Gently stir in the flour mixture until moistened. Fold in carrots, 1/2 cup coconut, and raisins.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Sprinkle with the remaining two tbs each oats and coconut.
- Bake the muffins until they spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only moist crumbs attached, 30-35 minutes. Let stand in pan for 10 mins before turning out onto a wire rack.